Monday, April 26, 2010

There's No Place Like Home-Fraser Place

Hey all,

I've only got a few more days here in Singapore and I think it's time I showed you all where we spent most of our days and our nights. Fraser Place and Fraser Suites

For most of the time I was in Singapore we stayed in what is called a residential hotel complex. The one chosen by the company, (who will remain nameless) was a beautiful place complete with 24 hour gym, pool, library and wonderful people both in housekeeping and down at The Hub, which is where we had our breakfasts each morning.

It's like being in an apartment, only you don't have to make your bed, do your dishes, clean the bathroom or mop, sweep and vacuum. I loved it. LOL Of course, I couldn't not do things. I am a woman, but mostly, I don't like people messing with my stuff. So I did our bedroom myself. I know...I know...call me anal or paranoid. It's just the way I am. *sigh*

Anyway, the place I spent the most time was Fraser Place. This was the property down by Clarke Quay and it is close to everything. I loved the area. Right between Chinatown and Little India it was easy to get to the MRT and surrounded by restaurants of all kinds.

At night we could go down to the plaza in the picture above and watch the soccer games with the big crowd of people and it was a hoot even though soccer has never made my heart beat fast. But you do get caught up in it over here. You don't have much choice. Even when the Olympics were on, they didn't get much coverage...there were more important soccer finals going on. LOL

When Jonathon got off work, we'd meet and eat at some restaurant then walk home along the river. It was lovely. I hated it when they moved him to the other Fraser Suites, but as a "guest" I appreciated the huge pool and great library they had over there, so I guess it all balances out.

But I digress. Let me show you some pics of the two hotels and introduce you to some of the people I met. I may not come back again, but they will always have a place in my heart.


This was one of the first people I met when I came to Singapore. I was coming back from a ramble and was hot and tired. I wandered through the courtyard and as they do, this gal came out and asked me if I wanted to sit and have a drink. I thought...why not? So I did and from that time on she and I always waved and talked when I came by. She went out of her way to make sure I was taken care of when we ate at her place. Her name is Mahendra (Mal) and I send her a big HELLO and THANK YOU!!!

This was one of the living rooms in the apartments. You could look out the windows and see the courtyard below in one of them. The others looked out on the street and you could watch the people go about their business. Nice views over all.

The kitchen in the smaller of the apartments. Not much different than ours at home except there is a step in and out of every room in Singapore. We called them High Lows and you never knew when one would jump out at you. Drove me nuts. I stared at my feet the whole time I was there, just in case.

This was the pool at the second Fraser Suites. We didn't like the hotel as well, but the pool area was awesome. It had this huge pool, a separate cool water (they don't do hot here) jacuzzi, a kiddie pool and tons of chairs, couches and table. Quite beautiful.

This next picture is of the entrance to the pool area. A lovely fountain is just perfect for this tropical setting. And the dolphins were a nice touch.

This was one of the walkways to the elevator. On either side, there was a pond. In one were these beautiful fish and in the other were turtles. I loved to talk to them as I waited for the elevator. Another reason people thing I'm crazy. *snicker*

This was one of the shopping areas near the first Fraser Place apartments. You can see the clock tower in the back. That's where all the soccer games were watched. At night this pathway was filled with tables and servers vying for your business. Every kind of food you can imagine.

And here is a pic of the place we ate most of our complimentary breakfasts. No continental breakfast here. We got eggs, anyway we wanted them, fruit and a full buffet of both western and eastern fare. Yummy!!!! It filled up fast in the morning, but no one ever went hungry with the servers we had there.

And finally, I've saved the best for last. These people became our friends--not just the ones who served us. From left to right, my sweet baboo-Jonathon, Tam, Helen, Yours Truly and Miss Hong Kong (MHK).
They took care of us at breakfast and any other time we needed food. Tam was always there to answer questions and get us anything we needed, while Helen and MHK did the cooking. MHK wasn't a talker, but Helen made up for it. I never did know MHK's real name, but that in her youth she was Miss Hong Kong, so that's what she was called. LOL Helen was the head of the kitchen and wonderful. She remembered everyone's name and what they liked and when she saw you, she'd pipe up with your name and ask if you wanted that omelet with or without cheese. I loved these guys!!!


So there you have it. Our home away from home. At least for now. Who knows where we will be next week!!! So, I say goodbye to this fantastic place, it's people and all it's memories. I'll lift a glass--or maybe just this great hookah set up filled with beer--in honor of the time I spent here.

If you can...come on over and tell them CJ sent you. I wonder if they will remember the crazy American who wandered around town writing books aloud???

We leave out of here on Wednesday, for the first stop on our Asian tour...Taman Negara Rainforest Park. We will be visiting parts of Malaysia and Thailand over the next week.

Then, from that point on, throughout the rest of May, I'll have a few posts here and there as I can. Some will be pre-done just to let you all know where I'm supposed to be, and I'll have guest bloggers keeping things going for me throughout the month. Others will be posted as I can, when and if I have internet. We've decided to take Lucas with me so we can research places we are going, but other than that I won't be spending much time on the computer. Too Busy!!! LOL

For this next Wednesday, I have another guest blogger coming to visit. Meg Benjamin is a new author to me, but what I've seen so far, I really like. Please come say hi and see what she has to say.

And until I talk to you again, I ask that you keep Jonathon and I in your thoughts and prayers. Traveling mercies and prayers for good health, prosperity and safety if you would please.

Take care all and I'll see you next in Malaysia and Thailand!!!!

Hugs,
CJ England
http://www.cjengland.com/home/Do%20Me%20A%20Favor100x154.jpg
Follow Your Dreams

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Looks like wonderful places CJ! You really lucked out.

Have Fun on your tour and stay safe!

Phylis said...

Have fun and safe travels CJ!