Monday, February 27, 2012

The Real Jurassic Park?

Hey all,

Have you read the latest?  Apparently, science fiction has stepped into the real world and Jurassic Park is one step closer.  At least the flora area of it.

In Moscow, a team of scientists, has done something pretty amazing.  They've managed to to resurrect a 30,000 year old plant in a experiment that paves the way for the revival of other species.  The plant seeds, Silene Stenophylla, were found in a burrow and according to the scientists, they are fertile.

Scientists say this could be the first step in the reanimating of not just flora but fauna as well.  They are now looking for frozen tissue from the squirrels who buried the seeds.  And if that works, in the future, maybe they'll try even mammoths!

Now, I'm not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I always thought the ideas behind the Jurassic Park were awesomely creative.  Imagine being able to see dinosaurs and other creatures of the past, now, in the present?

On the other hand...I DID see the movie.  And knowing human nature and greed and all that...it might not be such a good idea.  After all, who polices the science?

I mean, first it's a pretty little white flower, next, you open your door and find a nasty tempered Velociraptor standing on your stoop.  Not the way I want to start my morning.

Would I go visit a version of Jurassic Park?  Probably.  I mean to be able to see things I've only imagined?  To see just how close our scientist's renderings of all the creatures has been to the reality?  Talk about cool!

But I think we need to remember what Jeff Goldblum, as Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park said, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

An excellent point, this.  And one that should be thought out before we go any further with this type of research.  After all, do you really want to take a swim in your pool and find a Sarcosuchus--Super Croc--waiting for you?

Call me cynical, but I'd rather have a turtle.

See you on Wednesday,

Hugs,

CJ England  
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/cjengland/Blog%20Pics/HereComesPeter100x154.jpg
Follow Your Dreams

4 comments:

Phylis said...

I saw that article. It made me think about stuff someone might bring back to life which would take us out as a species. Some germ or something that there is no cure for. I always loved the part in Jurassic park where the they saw the dinosaurs for the first time. But to have a T-rex running rampant or a saurapod. Not good.

Ray said...

I would sure hate to run up on a saber toothed tiger either. Just think how introducing Burmese Pythons into the Everglades is reducing the population of small mammals and even panthers. They may not be able to destroy a large gator, but some of the smaller ones have been killed by pythons. Some of the prey for gators are disappearing. Stupid moves in introducing alien species into an ecological system is dangerous. Kudzu is a prime example as are the fish that can walk on land that are harming northern waters and destroying domestic fish. Many species hitchhike in ship's ballast tanks, which should not be emptied except at sea.

Ray

CJ England said...

Exactly, Phylis

What's the saying? It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt! Being stepped on by a brach might hurt a tad. LOL

CJ England said...

I so agree, Ray. When I read through history how we screwed up ecosystems without thinking, it hurts my heart. To do it purposely, it's just beyond stupid!