Friday, May 4, 2012

The Lighter Side Goes to the Movies

Hey all,

We had a great time this week.  We headed to the theater to see two movies we've been really wanting to see.

One was Battleship, and Jonathon being an navy man was looking forward to seeing the ships in action.  Well, he wasn't disappointed.  There is LOTS of action in this movie.  Let me give you a quick plot blurb...

Battleship is an epic-scaled action-adventure that unfolds across the seas, in the skies and over land as our planet fights for survival against a superior force.

In 2005, NASA discovers an extrasolar planet with conditions similar to Earth. On the chance that it contains intelligent life, NASA transmits a powerful signal from a communications array in Hawaii, which will be boosted by a satellite in orbit. 

A small fleet of alien ships arrives in response to the NASA signal.  The navy ships, Sampson, John Paul Jones, and Myōkō are sent to investigate, but are trapped when one of the ships erects an impenetrable force field around the Hawaiian islands.

Is it their way to communicate?  Or the beginning of an alien invasion?

This movie was a lot of fun to watch.  Especially if you like action movies.  And if you remember the game, Battleship, there are all kinds of references sprinkled through the movie which was a lot of fun, too!

There were some parts that stretched the credulity a bit, the museum boat for example, but the special effects, the battle scenes, and as I mentioned, the game references all made for a very entertaining movie.  I especially enjoyed the fact the alien missiles looked exactly like the pegs used to sink the battleships in the game. 

Now the second movie was one we'd been looking forward to for a long time.  We love all the Marvel Comic movies, and were excited when we saw they were pulling several of them together to make The Avengers.  Here is it's blurb...

In the sixth installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, The Avengers, Nick Fury, director of the peacekeeping organization SHEILD, recruits Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America, the Black Widow and the Hawk to form a team. 

The reluctant partners must stop Loki from  taking revenge on his brother Thor and destroying Earth with his alien army of creatures--the Chitauri.

The Avengers rally in defense of New York, but quickly realize they will be overwhelmed as wave after wave of Chitauri descend upon Earth. 

Only by working together as a team can they hope to save our world from utter destruction.


This movie was awesome!  One of the best I've seen so far this year.  I admit, I'm a bit of a comics geek--at least when it comes to movies made from comics--so I had a great time watching it.  The action sequences were fantastic, I liked the storyline, and of course, there are six hot guys to stare at.  Gotta love it.  

My favorite part of this movie (other than the handsome men running around) was the character of Tony Stark.  In previous movies, his character is over the top arrogant, and that hasn't changed, but in The Avengers, he is even more frenetic, tossing out one liners every other second.  I was laughing so hard, it hurt!  And I love the idea of him and Potts finally being together.

So I can highly recommend both of these movies for those of you who like adventures and action.  Kick back with a soft drink and some popcorn, and enjoy yourself.  And if you've seen these movies share your opinion in the comments below.

Will be back on Monday with a goodly rant about something I've been chewing on for awhile.

Hugs to all,

CJ England  
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/cjengland/Blog%20Pics/HereComesPeter100x154.jpg
Follow Your Dreams


4 comments:

Phylis said...

Haven't seen them and probably won't be able to. To much to do to get ready for graduation on the 13th. But will look forward to going to see them. Looks like something my son and I might enjoy watching together.

CJ England said...

Your son will probably love them. They are definitely movies a guy would love.

Good luck with the graduation!

Ray said...

Speaking of soft drinks with your movies, Dr. Pepper is featuring The Avengers. The carton of Diet DP has the face of Black Widow as one of The Avengers.

I like action movies as a change of pace. I have seen Under Siege with the USS MISSOURI several times. In addition to the action scenes the MISSOURI was the ship I visited in Bremerton before it was recommissioned and once again in Hawaii on my last trip home from the Far East. That is the only one of Segal's movies I've seen more than once. I overloaded on him many movies ago.
Battleship sounds like fun with the references to the game.

CJ England said...

That is one of my favorite Segal movies. "I'm just a cook!" LOL Get's me every time!