Friday, September 7, 2012

The Lighter Side of Language

Hey all,

As I travel, I often find myself giggling like a crazy woman.  Sometimes, it's because I heard a funny joke, sometimes it's because I see someone wearing something I consider "odd".  And a lot of times I laugh because I've seen some sign or heard someone say something that just cracked me up.

One of the biggest reasons I laugh is when I read something in a different language that reminds me of something else in my own.  The two usually mean something completely different, and that's what makes it even funnier!

Let me give you a few examples I've seen over here.  Maybe they'll tickle your funnybone too!

This sign is one you see everywhere here in Switzerland.  And I have to admit each time I see it, I giggle like a thirteen year old.  I know it may be silly, but you say it a few times yourself--especially while snorting into your hand.  I'll bet you giggle too.


I found this online, but I have a picture of this same sign that I found in Singapore.   It made me want to make sure I had all my signage translated into dog.  Dog is a language too, you know.


And how about this funny one I found in Zurich?  Perhaps the guys NAME is Schmuck, but still...not so sure I want to buy anything from him!  LOL


And this one just made Jonathon and I crack up when we saw it.  I'm sure it's completely innocent, but try reading it out loud.  You'll see what I mean.  *grin*

And this one I found in a mall in Singapore.  I sure don't think they meant it this way.  LOL


And finally, one of my favorites...one I found in one of the Hong Kong metro stations.  Had to stop and snap a picture.  Then I pondered and puzzled as to how I could go back to my behind and IF I'd even want to.  LOL


I hope you enjoyed the funny language pictures.  I find them in every town I was in.  Translating is a hoot!  And finding a word that looks similar to a naughty, funny or indelicate one in English always makes my day.

Be back on Monday with more.

Hugs to all,

CJ England
 http://www.cjengland.com/home/domeafavor100x154.jpg
Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CJsaysFollowYourDreams/

4 comments:

Phylis said...

Go back to your behind, hmmm. Not sure I really want to! lol Those are great CJ. Thanks for sharing them.

CJ England said...

LOL, Phylis. I know. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Ray said...

Schmuck is German Translation
Jewelry

Dictionary
masculine jewel(le)ry, jewels plural; Zierde: decoration(s plural ), ornament(s plural ).

I know how the "a" word for donkey became a euphemism, but jewelry? Who started the term as a put down? Could it be because for the most part jewelry is over priced?

The first sign you stress far and add a T. I learned that one in high school so I never made the connection. The really funny ones are the instruction manuals translated into English.

CJ England said...

Yeah, Ray, Jonathon took it in school, too, so he doesn't snort as much as I do.

And that's a good question about jewelry. Makes you wonder.