Friday, April 18, 2014

Reality Leaves A Lot To The Imagination

Hey all,

As you read this I will be in the process of moving from Brazil to Argentina.  Getting all our stuff together to go from one country to the next is a PITA job, but necessary.  *smile*  After all, the adventure is such a blast.  We've seen so many marvelous things.  No more armchair exploring for us.

Of course that's the way our adventures started out.  I read about so many wonderful places and cultures it became my dream to visit as many as I could.

That's why I love books and being an author.  I can not only read about the world and what is out there, as an author I can create worlds and what make the people in them do what they do.  In fact one of my favorite things to do is read other people's works and see how that author gets things done.

I try to read a bit every day, just before I head off to bed.  Sometimes more, sometimes less, if we're busy.  If I don't, I feel seriously deprived.  LOL

But when you read as much as I do, you begin to notice things.  Really good things and really weird things.  So, I thought I'd share some examples of a few of my pet peeves as well as my all time favorite delights.

Pet Peeve One

Let's talk sex.  Well, not really sex, but what leads up to it.  Now I don't know about you guys, but when I wake up in the morning, if Jonathon wants to get his jig on, I don't immediately go all hot and bothered and thrown myself into his arms.  I mean I want to...ALWAYS, but there are some things that get in the way in reality that RARELY seem to be addressed in a romance novel.

I mean how many of you wake up with sweet minty breath and an empty bladder?  How many of you have perfectly coiffured hair and smooth shaven legs?

Yet, how many books have you read where sex is perfect and immediate in the morning.  No one has to pee, and morning breath is just bad dream.  There is no bed hair and the ladies are smooth and sexy all over.

Really?  On what planet does that really happen?

Though some contemporary books now DO mention these problems.  Albeit in a humorous way.  Most of the time I like that, though sometimes it does pull me out of the moment.  So I guess I do understand why some authors (myself included) ignore the everyday uglies that come with the new day.

Pet Peeve 2

The Cinderella Complex.  A classic plot for a romance novel, one I actually really like.  IF and I do mean IF it doesn't go too far.  That prince (or princess) who comes and sweeps their mate off their feet is all well and good, yet should we really expect someone else to come in and take care of all our problems for us?  I like the story only if the sweepee can give something just as precious and lovely back to the sweeper.  Not in a quid pro quo way, but rather because of love and respect.  You know what I mean?

Besides, how often does this happen in the real world?  There are very few Pretty Women standing on balconies watching millionaires climb up their fire escapes.  Hmmm...I'd actually like to see that.  Richard Gere on my balcony.  Yum!!!

Pet Peeve 3

Forced Seduction.  This one is REALLY more than a pet peeve.  I hate it.  Really hate it.  I'm not talking about role playing or even giving your partner a little extra push when it's warranted.  I'm referring to those stories where the hero forces a lady to feel arousal when she's already said that two letter word.  NO!!!!

I know I may be in the minority here, but I've come to totally dislike this plot device.  To me it's too close to rape.  If not of the body, of the mind.  And IMHO, forcing someone's body to do what their mind doesn't want to do IS the same as rape.  I grew up on those "bodice ripper" type of romances, and when I look back on some of the ones I read, I want to cringe.  A man who uses force to make a woman have sex (or make love if it comes to that) isn't a hero to me.  Not any longer.

And if you tried to find this same "plot" in the real world, I don't believe the heroine would be as starry-eyed about the guy who forced her to give up her virginity.

So, there you have it.  A few ways reality doesn't find it's way into romance novels.  Luckily, most authors know when a plot device is over the top and they've learned to keep things real in the books they write.  Because even though most of us read romance to "escape" from reality, we'd prefer to be able to believe what we're reading!!!!

Do you have a personal pet peeve you think is so far out of reality you only shake your head when you read it?  Let me know in the comments below.


Until next week,


Hugs,
CJ England











Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com/luckbealady/luckbealady.htm

1 comment:

Phylis said...

I agree with you CJ. Right now I can't think of anything to add to this as a pet peeve. Sorry.