Friday, June 6, 2014

Do You Believe in Love at First Sight,or Should I Walk by Again?

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot these last few days.  I caught a stress cold and had to take it easy when we first got here to Buenos Aires.  For some reason, all the books I've read in the last week had something to do with love at first sight.  And I found that some of the books really bothered me with how they handled it.
 
Now, don't get me wrong, Love at First Sight is something I believe in with all that's in me.  I've written stories about it and love reading books about it.

But at the same time, walking into a club and (naughty word alert) constantly getting hit by lust, wet vaginas and erect penises and then falling in love with that person--while possible--is a bit lazy.

I guess what I'm saying, is using lust instead of character development irritates the hell out of me.  That's what I think is lazy.  That, to me, is cheating!!!!

Again, don't think I won't use a little lust when it's warranted.  Lust can and does bring people together.  But when that's all you get.  When that's where it stops, I don't think it's romantic love.  It's Erotica.  And while that's not a bad thing, for me, it's not romance...it's not love.

So what is?  Romance for me to the building of love between two people. Getting to know each other.  And while it can start by getting into each other's pants, you've got to do more than that to make it a real and lasting love.

I think that's what bothered me about the books I mentioned at the beginning of the blog.  They were hot and spicy, well written and interesting, but still they left me flat.  Because while the sex scenes were great, that's all that was there.  They met, fell in love, had sex, the end.  Nothing else.  No growth, no building, just the act and readers were expected to be fulfilled by that.

And maybe some are.  Different strokes and all.   But for me, love at first sight is VERY different than lust at first sight.  I want lust AND love AND romance.  Is that too much to ask?

So, what gets you happy when you read a Love at First Sight book?  Do you have certain things that need to happen before it's the BEST BOOK EVER????  Let me know in the comments below!!!!

I'll see you next week...

Hugs,

CJ England










Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com/luckbealady/luckbealady.htm

4 comments:

Phylis said...

I agree with you but I also hate when they take the sexual tension and let it go on to long before they do anything about it. lol Oh well. Hope you feel better soon!

CJ England said...

Yeah, Phylis. I'm all for teasing, but let's not take it TOO far. LOL

Ray said...

I am reading a story now that really isn't love or lust at first sight, but two people getting married in Vegas who fall in love very shortly after they wake up. Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off by Carolina North.

CJ England said...

I've read that one, Ray. Caro and I used to be at the same publisher together.