Friday, March 11, 2016

CJ Reviews J.D. Robb's Brotherhood in Death

Hey all,

I thought I'd share my thoughts with you all about one of the books I've just finished.  Today's review is about J.D. Robbs latest In Death book, Brotherhood in Death.

Now, as I've admitted in the past, I'm a huge Nora Roberts fan girl.  Her book Irish Thoroughbred was the first romance I ever read and when I started writing myself, I read and reread that book until the pages were dogeared.  She had a huge effect on how and why I write and I have each and every one of her books.

When I discovered her In Death Series, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Though I'm not usually a super fan of kick-ass heroines, Eve Dallas changed my mind.  Her loyalty and sense of duty, her reluctant and often awkward embracing of friends, the way she looks at the world around her--even her horrible childhood makes her one of the most intriguing characters I've ever gotten to know.

And then there's Roarke. Talk about a hunk of delicious love.  Every woman should have a man like that in her bed.  Supportive of everything Eve is, yet he's just enough of a hard ass that his temper flares when she goes too far. He'll protect her from everything--even her own stubborn nature. Their love and partnership is one I can't get enough of.

That being said, I really enjoyed Brotherhood in Death. While not one of my top five favorites of the In Death Series, it did hit the mark for me. Mainly because I adore Dennis Mira and he's got a big part in this book.  

Here's a snippet from Amazon...

Sometimes brotherhood can be another word for conspiracy. . . .

Dennis Mira just had two unpleasant surprises. First he learned that his cousin Edward was secretly meeting with a real estate agent about their late grandfather’s magnificent West Village brownstone, despite the promise they both made to keep it in the family. Then, when he went to the house to confront Edward about it, he got a blunt object to the back of the head.

Luckily Dennis is married to Charlotte Mira, the NYPSD’s top profiler and a good friend of Lieutenant Eve Dallas. When the two arrive on the scene, he explains that the last thing he saw was Edward in a chair, bruised and bloody. When he came to, his cousin was gone. With the mess cleaned up and the security disks removed, there’s nothing left behind but a few traces for forensics to analyze. 

As a former lawyer, judge, and senator, Edward Mira mingled with the elite and crossed paths with criminals, making enemies on a regular basis. Like so many politicians, he also made some very close friends behind closed—and locked—doors. But a badge and a billionaire husband can get you into places others can’t go, and Eve intends to shine some light on the dirty deals and dark motives behind the disappearance of a powerful man, the family discord over a multimillion-dollar piece of real estate . . . and a new case that no one saw coming.

The storyline for this book was fast paced, logical and enjoyable. If I have one problem at all, I'd figured out who did it long before the book ended. But that often happens with this series and rarely takes away from my enjoyment. 

I do wish Roarke had a bigger part in this story.  My favorite In Death books are the ones that involve him in some way. Eve and Roarke's relationship is evolving in a way that makes my romantic heart sigh, so I can't get enough of them working together.

All in all, this is a great addition to her series.  The premise is just different enough to keep you interested, but not so far fetched as to be unbelievable. And of course, the world building is always amazing. She's cut back a bit on the romance part of the story, which I don't like, but the rest of the story is so good, I pushed past that irritation and was still able to enjoy the story.

The next installment, Apprentice in Death, comes out in September and I'm already impatient for its release.  Each time I read one of the books in the series, it's like visiting with old friends and that connection...that familiarity, in my humble opinion is what makes a series so fantastic.

I give Brotherhood in Death a 4 1/2 out of 5 and a GREAT READ RECOMMENDATION.

To read more about this series and this great new book, click HERE and click on the cover where it says Look Inside.

Until next time!

Hugs to all of you!

CJ England









Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com/wanderingstar/whathappensinmexico.htm




1 comment:

Ray said...

I haven't read an Eve Dallas book in a long time. I sort of read what I find and then read several more by the same author then move on. This one is available in Audible. I am going to get it the next time I buy an audio book. It might just get me to get back into finding out where I left off and get the rest of the series.

My favorite audio book series is the Barefoot Bay books by Roxanne St. Claire. I've listened to five so far, that and the and the Patricia Briggs shifter books about the were coyote in the Washington Tri Cities (Kennewick, Richland and Pasco).