Tuesday, October 18, 2016

How About that Fall Programming?

Hey all,

Even overseas I try and keep up with the latest offerings for TV programming. And every year there are both Good and What the Hell Were They Thinking moments.  For example, this year, there were several interesting shows that I've watched. Some excellent and at least one like...really????

For example...

Westworld
This series takes the old movie Westworld that starred Yul Brenner and gives it a slightly modern twist. Similar to the original, this HBO offering is gritty, real (except for the whole android thing) and a sometimes disturbing look at what could be if our technology takes a leap forward.

But it was just those things that made us enjoy it. It was interesting and a little bit creepy to watch. Figuring out who was a robot and deciding who exactly was a bad guy made it very entertaining. I will warn you all, it isn't for the faint hearted. It's HBO, so there is nudity, language and adult situations. In fact, the first episode deals with rape, and had a lot of graphic violence.

But if you don't mind that sort of thing, give it a try. I've only seen two episodes, but so far, we're looking forward to more.



Designated Survivor
This show I wasn't sure about when I saw the premise. I'm picky when it comes to political dramas. For example I adored watching The West Wing back in the day and I do like Madam Secretary even though it's a veiled showcase for Hillary Clinton. (I'm not a fan.) So when I first watched this one, I was already predisposed to be leery.

But I have to say I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I like Keifer Sutherland and his portrayal of a normal, slightly befuddled professor who abruptly becomes president was dead on.  The show seems very real. It shows the office--warts and all--and how he is overwhelmed by the sudden responsibility. It also gives a great look at his family and how it affects them.

And of course, there are those who think a man who was appointed to be the HUD head should have NEVER been sworn in as president. So not only does he have to fight his own insecurities, he has covert enemies as well.

Overall, it's one we REALLY like. It's definitely on our to watch list.

But then there was this one...

MacGyver

Honestly, I'm not sure about this show. I LOVED the original MacGyver. Loved Richard Dean Anderson and the whole premise about a guy who who take anything and make it into something else. And the fact his name has become a word in our language... From the Oxford Dictionary...

To Macgyver

VERB
  • Make or repair (an object) in an improvised or inventive way, making use of whatever items are at hand.

  • ‘he MacGyvered a makeshift jack with a log’

    ‘he has a shock of short red hair and a pair of rectangular-framed glasses MacGyvered with duct tape’
I've used it myself and almost everyone knows what I mean when I say it.

And that was part of the problem I had with the new and supposedly improved MacGyver. First off, the new Mac is too brash and smug for my taste. He's a little young, but I can work with that. I just don't like the way he plays MacGyver. And even with a great sidekick (I do like how George Eads plays the irrepressible Jack Dalton), the writing falls a bit flat.

But the thing I dislike the most is when Mac does something Macgyverish and they put cheat captions over the top of it.  REALLY???? Are we so stupid we can't figure out what he's doing ourselves? And seriously, part of the fun of the original was trying to understand WHAT he was building. *sigh* So them telling us, destroys part of what made the original so fun.

But we'll try a couple more episodes before we give up on it. I want to give the new show a chance before I write it off forever.

So what new shows are you enjoying this year? Comedy? Drama? Horror? Tell me what you think in the comments

Until Next Friday!!!

Hugs,
CJ England

1 comment:

Ray said...

To me MacGyver is just another failed remake. Your description of what you don't like is spot on. I have seen the beginning of a couple of episodes and tried to watch one, but couldn't make it to the end. Maybe it should have been animated if they wanted explanations.

A movie I don't like is the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. My favorite part of the original was a scruffy looking man waiting for the train being annoyed by a fly. At the end of the fly scene he pulls out his six shooter and shoots the fly. I can't remember the actor, but his eyes made the scene. I wish one of the movie channels would show the original.